Review: Magic In the Blood (Devon Monk)

Magic In the Blood by Devon Monk
Publisher: Roc (2009)
Format: Mass Market Paperback | 358 pages
Genre(s): Urban Fantasy
Description (GR): "Working as a Hound-tracing illegal spells back to their casters-has taken its toll on Allison Beckstrom. But even though magic has given her migraines and stolen her recent memory, Allie isn't about to quit. Then the police's magic enforcement division asks her to consult on a missing persons case. But what seems to be a straightforward job turns out to be anything but, as Allie finds herself drawn into the underworld of criminals, ghosts, and blood magic."
I've read book 1 of this series way-back-when so I wasn't really clear on the details. I knew there was a heroine who uses magic and I remember liking the magic system in these books because in Monk's world everyone (as far as I can tell) can use magic (some are more talented than others, though) but magic requires a price and that makes most people think twice about using it. It can be a simple headache but it can also be something a little more serious.

Anyway... I remember (I went to check my review, ahah) liking the world building but not being crazy about the stereotypical characters. Still, I bought some more books of this series a while back so I decided to give it another chance.

This second book was fast-paced and there was a lot happening at the same time.

I was enjoying this book immensely (a lot more than the first) but the ending was rushed and the mystery underdeveloped. I mean, Allie is a Hound, she should be investigating and drawing conclusions but I felt the book was too focused on her and that too much happened to her. The mystery plot suffered because of it. We arrive at the climax with only vague ideas about what is going on and the way everything was resolved just didn't seem... plausible. The villain was almost absent until the end, also due to this. The author gave us no time to feel anything for him.

On the other hand there was a lot more world building and character development in this one. Allie was a lot more likable; unfortunately Zayvion Jones is still a walking stereotype. But... there is no love triangle in sight, which is great.

So, overall, it was a nice read, better than the first one but I feel it still needs more. There's too much and too little happening (I know I sound confusing but that's how it seemed to me) and some things were explained in a really implausible manner.

I will be reading the rest of the series though, since Monk got me interested in her world and her magic system (again).

Comentários