Review: Unknown

Publisher: Roc (2010)
Format:  Mass Market Paperback | 305 pages
Genre(s): Urban Fantasy
Description: "Living among mortals, the djinn Cassiel has developed a reluctant affection for them-especially for Warden Luis Rocha. As the mystery deepens around the kidnapping of innocent Warden children, Cassiel and Luis are the only ones who can investigate both the human and djinn realms. But the trail will lead them to a traitor who may be more powerful than they can handle... "

So far, the "Oucast Season" series has just been an... average reading for me. I like the overall concept (and the fact that you don't have to read the Weather Warden series - which I didn't, yet - to get the story) and Cassiel's character is interesting, but I just feel the author is not giving us enough in each book.

From what I've seen (or read) so far, the story will only be concluded in the last book of the series which means that not only each book ends with a cliffhanger (like those annoying two-part tv episodes that end with a "to be continued") but also that the story drags and very little happens in each book. This means that in each book our heroes are pursuing the same enemy and basically the action in both books is the same; they are attacked, they flee, they have an encounter with said enemy.

The author could have developed her characters a lot more to make up for the lack of plot "advancement" (but not action; you have action enough, as a substitute for the slow story build) but she doesn't. Luis is still, for me at least, just sketched, not a full-fledged character. Thus, his feelings for Cassiel didn't convince me.

Overall, this was a nice read, but again (as with the first book), I feel annoyed at the cliffhanger and I'm seriously getting tired of the presented storyline especially because it isn't that complex and we pretty much know the villains motivations and powers and true identity already. I really hope Rachel Caine comes up with a truly original and flashy plot twist or readers will seriously get bored with this series. Or at least I will (and I'm just one reader, I suppose, lol).

Comentários